What is e-learning?
Quite simply, e-learning is using technology to deliver training anytime, anyplace.
It can be known as a number of different things and spelled in a number of ways including online learning, online training, elearning, e-learning and e learning.
7 great reasons to use e-learning
What is e-learning used for? There are a number of benefits associated with implementing e-learning and our customers come to us for different reasons. Here are some of the top reasons why Learning Pool customers use our services. View the inforgraphic here.
1. Scalable, Efficient and Fast
E-learning gives you the ability to quickly create and communicate new policies and training. By using our Authoring Tool and our Learning Management System you’ll be able to roll-out to large audiences cost-effectively.
2. Capacity and consistency
E-learning offers the ability to achieve high levels of coverage among your target audience and ensures the message communicated is consistent. This means all learners get the same training.
3. Higher Learning Retention than traditional learning
Blended learning results in higher knowledge retention rate as it appeals to a wider range of learning styles. There’s also the added ability to refresh or update coursework whenever it’s needed and learn at a pace that suits your learners.
4. Using e-learning saves you time and money
It reduces time away from the workplace, cuts down on expensive travel and reduces the need for costly classroom-based training.
5. Measuring learning activity and proving return on investment
Using our Learning Management System, tracking Learner progress is a breeze and reporting on activity is a button press away.
6. Reduce your carbon footprint
By delivering your training online and testing your staff through online quizzes you’re providing alternatives to paper-based forms of learning and testing.
7. Flexibility and finding hard to reach people
E-learning can give staff the freedom to learn when and where they want, and at their own pace. You can train staff who would usually be in remote locations and have trouble getting to and from classroom training venues.
Frequently asked questions
An e-learning module is made up of chunks of information used to educate or inform. Just like a classroom based module includes subject specific information, so does an e-learning module. Modules can include text, images, videos, quiz’s, questionnaires, PDFs or whatever resources you like. We create SCORM compliant modules. In layman’s terms that means they can be delivered from a wide variety of platforms and Learning Management Systems.
Yes you can! If you choose us as your e-learning provider you can use our Authoring Tool to create e-learning that perfectly matches your requirements. You get our Authoring Tool free with any Learning Pool e-learning subscription and it has been designed for anyone from beginners with little or no technical skills to web editors who know their way around technologies like Adobe Flash. It is template driven so you can create your own e-learning from scratch. Alternatively you can tailor or adapt existing content from our ever growing e-learning catalogue created by other members, or built by our subject matter experts.
So what is in LMS exactly?
An LMS is a Learning Management System, a software application you can use to deliver your e-learning from. Think of it as your online classroom where you can roll out your training content to your staff as well as manage progress and completion. We provide Totara LMS, a web based system, so there’s no installation or server hardware required. It also lets you track, document and export reports on staff progress and completion rates. To learn more about Totara LMS click here.
Yes you can! E-learning has to be part of the overall learning and development strategy, not a standalone solution. It is often seen only as a solution to reduced budgets and a cost cutting exercise – yet it has many positive advantages that improve your return of investment and increase the availability of on demand training, and not just a way to reduce classroom costs. E-learning can be used in a blended approach in a number of ways.
1. It can be used to ensure everyone attending a classroom event has the same level of knowledge about a subject, especially where you have policies, procedures or legislation to train around.
2. You can make more impact with your classroom time, helping your delegates by facilitating on skills development, sharing case studies or engaging in group discussions.
3. After your classroom event you can use e-learning and your LMS if you have one to create a range of post course activities, such as assessments and evaluations, to measure the impact of the course, or facilitate further discussion. At Learning Pool we believe in blended learning so we provide Classroom Connect to help our customers manage and co-ordinate their blended programmes and take the administration out of booking rooms. Classroom Connect is the key to integrating the management of your classroom and online training all in one place. Find out more here.
Depending on which e-learning provider you choose, support levels vary. Some providers may provide you with your LMS and e-learning solution then charge you extra for support so this is something to be weary of when sourcing e-learning providers. At Learning Pool we don’t believe this is good practice and we offer every customer free unlimited support from our Helpdesk and free online tutorials and webinars for the lifetime of your subscription.
Depending on which of our four e-learning solutions you choose, your on-site support varies and could include a combination of, or all of the following:
- A dedicated learning consultant to help drive your strategy and measure your progress
- An assigned technical support executive to administer your Learning Pool LMS
- Unlimited email and phone support from our highly trained team
- A tailored 1 day induction – we’ll even come to you!
- Dedicated coaching on site with your teams when you need it throughout your subscription
- Online tutorials for you to access when you need to
- Dedicated webinars on demand
- Management of your learner records
- Support to tailor your e-learning content (10 days per annum)
- Integration with your HR system
- We’ll help you launch your service and make a big splash!
Prices vary based on your needs and the size of your organisation. At Learning Pool our subscription is offered in 4 ways to suit every organisation and every budget. We don’t charge set up fees and there are no hidden costs – we’re passionate about that and we won’t change it so you can rest assured that the price won’t change unexpectedly! You can request a tailored quote here.
Of course! This is something that we encourage at Learning Pool and for that reason we have built the UK’s largest e-learning community where you can talk and interact with other L&D professionals, ask questions, share ideas and find out if others are creating similar e-learning programmes or content. Our e-learning community and forum has over 13,000 members, to join and to see what others are talking about visit here.
Facebook for Business Ebook | A Quick Start Guide For BeginnersWe understand the difficulties of getting started on Facebook as a business, that’s why we’ve pulled together this quick start guide for beginners.
LinkedIn Ebook |A quick start guide for beginnersThis guide has been written to provide a quick start for those who are new to LinkedIn and who would like a helping hand to get going on it’s...
5 Reasons why Responsive E-learning is AwesomeResponsive e-learning is learning content that dynamically responds to varying screen sizes and devices. Here are 5 reasons why we think it's awesome...
10 Reasons you should invest in Performance ManagementShould you think more about performance management? In short - yes! That is, if you don’t want to lose your best staff (and most important assets)...
Free Ebook | Everything you need to know about Adapt LearningOver a year in the making, tested and refined with the help of hundreds of customers, our game-changing tool for responsive e-learning is now...
10 Graphic Design Tips for Successful E-learningInterested in mastering the art of e-learning design? Check out our Design team's top tips to guide you through the creative process to build the...
10 Tips on how to run your webinar like a proThinking of introducing webinars to your e-learning plan but not sure where to start? Donald Clark and Ian Usher took to the web to share their tips...
Infographic | The Perks of Mobile Optimised E-learningThe mobile revolution has well and truly taken hold of the e-learning world. Here's why you need to swipe, scroll, and tap your way to responsive...
Infographic | Using Your LMS for Compliance TrainingWith the need to meet compliance requirements in today's highly regulated workplace, online training and the use of a Learning Management System play...
Free access to up to 500 e-learning modules for 7 days.